Saturday, March 3, 2012

James Q. Wilson (1931 – 2012)

In graduate school at Vanderbilt University, working towards my doctorate in Public Policy Studies, my principle advisor and Chairman of my dissertation committee, Erwin C. Hargrove, directed me to the work of James Q. Wilson. My particular interest was implementation, and Professor Wilson had a lot to say.

In implementation I was taught that some factors are more critical than others in their impact on a particular program’s implementation. Analysis, therefore, should not give equal weight to each factor. In this sense, Professor Wilson (1967) was instructive. For example:
“The government – at least publicly – seems to act as if the supply of able political executives were infinitely elastic, though people setting up new agencies will often admit privately that they are frustrated and appalled by the shortage of talent, that the only wonder is why disaster is so long in coming.”

It may sound simple, but you have no idea how many people in positions of power throughout government at every level, just do not get it. Common sense is not common.

In tribute* I postulate this deferential corollary to James Q. Wilson’s antidote for “selfishness,” or "greed" (in the parlance of our time):
Ownership confers title,
Title confers responsibility,
Responsibility confers accountability,
And, accountability confers the ability to succeed or fail.


*Tonight I’ll do what I always do to honor the life of a great man – I’ll take a drink or two of Blanton’s.

No comments: